Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Quick Look at Explee for Animated Explainer Videos

It seems that everybody and her cousin is coming out with an explainer video web app or software.

A few days ago, a friend shared with me an explainer video on a political topic. It was a combination of live action and pseudo animation software. It presented the point of view seamlessly. But I didn't agree with all the ideas presented. This is where critical thinking skills kick in but that is a topic for another blog.

Explee is a web app for creating animated explainer videos. Similar to Adobe Voice, you can upload your own .jpeg or .png images or use the images provided to create a video about a subject, idea or concept.

The video below is a good example of what you can do with the software:



There is a free version that you can obtain via an e-mail address and password. The video will have a watermark and other limitations. Paid versions allow users to download .mp4 videos to upload them to Vimeo and YouTube.

I tried out the free version on an idea project that I'm thinking about. Because I signed up for a free account, I can't embed the video but this is a link to the video page.  It is really rough but I was able to knock out a concept video in about 15 minutes.

For the most part it went well. I had some problems when I was typing text and I couldn't get back to editing out a mistake. It was easier to delete it and add it again. Really minor things like that.  The music was provided by the service; it was a easy as drag and drop it into the staging area.

I need to do more testing using it but it is a viable option for teachers, explainers and folks that don't have a video friendly concept.  I have to stress that it is easy to put a video together. It takes time to make a good video.

So if you don't want to spend cash money on an iPad and apps that may or may not work or you need a way of prototyping an idea or concept this might be the way to go.


Other Posts of Interest

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love actual comments. Please understand that comments will be held until I get a chance to look them over or wake up, whichever comes first.

Spam and other forms of hate speech are not welcome here. And due to the actions of spam bots and the people that love them moderation is in full effect.